Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Outdoor Wednesday - Lovely morning!

It rained early in the morning but by 7 am it stopped. Time for my morning walk. But today to another direction since my walking partner Noni, is still recuperating at home. So Im walking from my house to a nearby residential area just 10 mins away, called Taman Kosas. The air felt so fresh after the rain though the road coming out of the residential area was starting to get busy, people rushing to work or sending children to school. How wonderful life is without having to join in the rat race!



the morning sun was just showing itself behind the cloud - the air was so fresh and crisp

water cascading leisurely over the boulders in the river nearby, which is the same river that flows behind my house - the Ampang River

although the skyline is changing fast, the track around the residential area is quite peaceful for a morning walk

majestic willow trees on one side of the river bank behind the Ampang Waterfront, the IN place to chill out (lepak) with rows of restaurants, cafes, furniture shops etc etc...just 15 mins walk from my house


on the other side, cascading bougainvilleas and palm trees are lining the river bank

while walking near the houses, I saw some plants and flowers in their front yards...this is buah kedondong (Spondia dulcis or Ambarella or Malay Apple), sourish fruit which can be eaten fresh with a hot spicy sauce or salt, or it can be pickled in brine and sugar

this petai belalang (Leucaena leucocephala) is found near some secondary jungle or bushes.... the last of a green lung near the houses


betelnut tree bearing a bunch of little fruits

close-up of the betelnuts

spider orchids...one of the oldest known species of orchid, blooming profusely in front of one house

a shrub of little white flowers found near the roadside, known as Asian rosebay or Tabernaemontana divaricata, a double layered variety, usually these are stringed to make a garland to be worn by Indian ladies on their hair, though it has no sweet fragrance like the jasmine

I saw lots of big bright orange flowers littered under their tree on the sidewalk on my way back

such lovely colour...African Tulip or Spathodea campanulata (thanks Arati for letting me know the name of this lovely flower)
near a modern apartment, lovely sepit udang are flowering, part of a beautiful landscape there


their bright colours are very attractive from far


just next to the apartment which is close by the river bank, I saw these polystyrene containers perched precariously on the narrow ledge, with okra, chilli and some other vegetables being grown by a garden enthusiast, probably one of the residents of that apartment!



this placid river, the Ampang River, is flowing down towards my house...how nice if I can have a small sampan (boat) tied near hear and I can row back to my house!



Lets visit Susan of A Southern Daydreamer for more outdoor Wednesday postings!

35 comments:

Elisabeth said...

A lot of beautiful photos. Springtime is different in different countries. Interesting!

miruku said...

I thought you went to a nursery *s*.
Ahh, now for the 1st time i see a petai tree, haha. Is kedondong = ambra???

BernieH said...

I'm glad I went on the morning walk with you, it was a great outing. Loved all those beautiful blooms on the way, adored the Willows and was fascinated by that keen gardener's attempts to grow plants.

Andrea said...

It's nice your weather is not very hot yet, i remember it was April when we were there, and it was hotter than Manila that year. But of course you are nearer the equator by some degrees. I like those willows, as if we are not in the tropics. By the way, it is not beetlenut but betelnut. hehe! And that is not the betelnut we know it, maybe a different palm.

p3chandan said...

Thank you Elisabeth for dropping by.

Yes Milka it is..amra or ambra.

p3chandan said...

Glad you enjoyed the walk Bernie!

Andrea, now its very hot in the afternoon, then raining in the evenings or mornings. I love the elegantly graceful willows too. Oops..sorry for the wrong spelling, thanks for pointing it to me. Andrea, they are betelnuts if you see the close-up, only its the smaller version of the palm and those nuts are still young. There was another tree near that one, and all the nuts were already orange and mature.The Malays and the Indians love to grow this tree near their home because they use the nuts to eat with sireh leaves.

cikmanggis said...

salam p3chandan.bagusnya jika kita berjiran dapat jadi teman untuk berjogging:)

The Sage Butterfly said...

What a lovely stroll! The Bougainvilla looks stunning. Thanks for sharing your photos.

p3chandan said...

Salam...betul tu cikmanggis..kadang2 ade nye seorang teman tu dapat membantu kita kuatkan semangat utk exercise. Bila duk pegi sorang2 lama2 naik boring, langsung malas nak pegi!

You are most welcome Sage!

Malay-Kadazan girl said...

Wow that is a very berani container gardener, betu-betul tebing sungai. Terliurnya tengok buah kedondong tu.

Yvonne said...

What a beautiful walk. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

The orange flow is gorgeous. You had a pretty nice walk.

Malar said...

Beautiful mning with alot of beautiful flowers! I wish i can join you for a walk to enjoy the beauty!
Kedondong? That's my favorite pickle!

Beth at PlantPostings said...

It's great to visit your blog and learn about plants I've never heard of before. Thanks for sharing the lovely views near your home.

p3chandan said...

Betul tu Diana, agaknye dia dah biase berkebun kat rumah lama, bila duk apartment, takde kawasan utk menanam, jadi yg paling dekat di tepi tebing sungai tu..kalau dah minat tu kat mane2 pun boleh buat kan! Kedondong tu kalau cicah garam memang sedap..tapi kalau pregnant akak suka makan jeruk dia.

You are most welcome Clipped Wings! Glad you enjoyed it.

Yes the orange flower is lovely though I dont know the name.. the morning walk was very refreshing and I felt rejuvenated!

Malar, how nice if you are staying closer, then we could go for morning walk together! I love the pickle kedondong when I was pregnant..or else I prefer the fresh one with salt.

Thank you Beth, you are most welcome anytime. Same here, a lot of plants from the temperate countries like yours, are also new to me! I guess its good that we could meet here and visit each other's garden to learn about new plants and garden tips.

rainfield61 said...

You have such a lovely and relaxing morning.

p3chandan said...

Rainfield I try to enjoy the simple life like the morning walk a few times in a week, to relax, de-stress and just enjoying the early morning scenery just like you trekking the Cerok Tokun...

littlekarstar said...

I love looking at these interesting plants so different to the ones we have here

Anonymous said...

So many beautiful photos, and must be a great neighborhood.

Cat said...

You have so much diversity to observe and be apart of as you walk. So glad I came along!

Stephanie said...

P3chandan, sounds like you had an enjoyable walk. Love the sights of the pretty flowers. I like that big orange flower also. Maybe from a big tree. You will not see them unless they drop to the ground - you are fortunate ;-) Happy walking in the morning and discovering your surroundings! I love morning walks myself.

p3chandan said...

You are welcomed anytime Mrs Bok, we have a lot to learn by visiting each other's garden!

Thanks IcyBc, that particular part of neighbourhood is still not that congested, a lovely place to have a walk especially in the early morning.

Thanks Cat for joining me in my neighbourhood walk!

Yes Steph, I greatly enjoyed my at least 3 times a week morning walks, to take in new sites and sceneries and enjoying the beauty of nature in the early morning fresh and crisp air!

Jennifer said...

Jennifer@threedogsinagarden
It must be wonderful to go on a morning walk and as you say, avoid the "rat race". It also must be nice to have shops etc. within easy walking distance. Everything you see on these strolls seems so unusual and exotic to my Canadian eyes.

Dhemz said...

such a lovely place...thanks for dropping by my place...great to be here.

A. said...

p3, i love the willows and the river. must be especially nice after the rains.
the orange flower is probably the african tulip - spathodia campanulata.

PolkaDotGaloshes said...

Hi P3, what beautiful pics of amazing flowers! Holly cow they are gorgeous! I love seeing the array of flowers and plants from abroad, there is nothing like that here in cold rainy Seattle. Also, I've just linked your blog to my latest post "Happy Earth Day, reading & reflections" Cheers Julia

p3chandan said...

Hi Jennifer, after my retirement, I walk to exercise my limbs and to go out of the house, to relax and enjoying the sceneries along the walk. Im lucky that my life here is considered very relaxing, at a slower pace but still very satisfying!

You are most welcome Dhemz, do drop by again anytime!

Arati, thank you for the name of that flower! Yes the willow trees along the bank of the river are very majestic and graceful which add some aesthetic quality to the ordinary looking river!

Hi Julia, I enjoyed your wide varieties of lovely flowers and plants too! Thank you for linking mine to your post! Happy weekend!

Laura Bloomsbury said...

What a lovely way of showing us where you live, all threaded together with the river. I certainly enjoyed the tour if only to see so many senstational exotics. A great tribute to Earth day too.
thanks for the meme link - the walk idea makes us look at what is around us.
Laura

Lrong Lim said...

Buah kedondong... looking forward to eating it the next time I return home for a visit...

Stacy said...

What a lovely walk--and how nice to have so much variety within walking distance. The "wild" plants along the river make a lovely contrast with the garden plants and flowers. Thank you for sharing the beautiful morning after a rain!

p3chandan said...

Thank you Laura, glad you enjoyed the morning tour of my neighbourhood!

Mr Lrong, hope when you come back here they will be in season to satisfy your 'craving'
..hehe...or else you have to make do with their jeruk.

You are most welcome Stacy, glad you enjoyed my morning walkabout.

Bangchik and Kakdah said...

My dream house..., a small house next to a slow moving crystal clear stream..., cool and green, kedondong, mempelam etc.., but no tigers!.

Alistair said...

What a beautiful walk, the Willow trees by the Ampang front look very majestic. Doesn't the Spider Orchid have a primitive beauty of its own.

p3chandan said...

Bangchik, hope to see your dream house soon!

Alistair, I love the willow trees along the river bank, they make the ordinary river looking so lovely, Yes those spider orchids are seldom seen nowadays with so many hybrids around, so I was excited to see them in my morning walk there.

Food so delicious! said...

a stream behind your house!? Wow!! What a dream.. you live in such a lovely area... I love the pictures of the flowers!!