Thursday, August 25, 2011

Sweet, Sweet Pulasan

What looks like rambutan but sweeter than rambutan and lychee? Its the pulasan, a native of Malaysia. It looks almost like rambutan and some people do confused it if they are not familiar with our local fruits.They come from the same family Sapindaceae. While rambutan is called Nephelium Lappaceum, the pulasan is called Nephelium Mutabile or the Hairless Rambutan. The word pulasan comes from the Malay word pulas which means to twist. Thats how you open the fruit, you have to twist it at both ends to get the sweet fleshy white inside.




On my trip to Muar recently, I came across 2 bushy, laden with fruits, pulasan trees at my friend Som's house. It has been a long time since I saw one! Rambutan trees are more commonly planted in most compounds and I have one in mine which is about 40 years old! I think people prefer rambutan to pulasan because the flesh are more firm and easier to come out from the seeds although pulasan is much sweeter and juicier.



almost ripe pulasan on the tree



ripe ones



opened ripe pulasan to reveal the sweet flesh, the skin is thicker than rambutan's




unripe fruits on the tree




one of Som's pulasan tree laden with fruits, the tree is only about 6 feet, rounded with dense bushy branches sweeping the ground.....even the fruits are kissing the ground too!



comparing those of pulasan these are the rambutans

thinner skin of rambutan



the hairy rambutan (rambut means hair in Malay)


Both fruits are in season now and you can get them by the roadsides in make-shift stalls set up to sell them to passing motorists along with the King of Fruit, the Durian! On the way back, I loaded my small car boot with 30 durians, bags of rambutans from my friend Asiah's orchard and pulasans from Som's! They are my favourite fruits and was craving for them when I was pregnant with my first son!



Next Tuesday the Muslims here and all over the world, will be celebrating the end of the fasting month, Ramadhan, with the festival Hari Raya Aidil Fitri. There will be cooking, eating, visiting and be merry for the whole month with our local open houses. So enjoy everybody.....watch your weight!





SELAMAT HARI RAYA AIDIL FITRI TO BLOGGERS AND ALL MUSLIMS!



33 comments:

Giga said...

Z przyjemnością bym te owoce spróbowała. Pozdrawiam z Polski

Makarimi Abdullah said...

Sedapnya...boleh buat juadah raya ni ;) Selamat Hari Raya Maaf Zahir dan Batin.

hijaudaun said...

salam aidilfitri utk akak and family. have a nice aidilfitri.

Hippie Paul said...

I am basing my trip next year to Malaysia to be timed with Dokong & Pulasan season.

Two fruits I have yet to gorge on.

I plan to travel june 12-august 8.

Does that cover season for both fruits.

Of course I also look forward to conspicuous consumption of durian, rambutan, maprang, kwini, mangosteen, ....

Stephanie said...

I had honey rambutan the other day. I thought it was really nice. I have not eaten pulasan for a long time already.

Selamat Hari Raya to you and your family!

b-a-g said...

I love tinned lychees, wish I could eat them fresh, and those pulasans sound even better.

依之汉 said...

I love pulasan. It's nice to see this pictures of pulasan. Making me want to taste one.

Selamat menyambut Aidilfitri dan Selamat Menyambut Hari Kemerdekaan ke-54.

The Seasonal One said...

I was just considering purchasing a plant the other day. This really inspires me. I love Pulasan. Selamat Hari Raya to you and family!

Lubis Muzaki said...

minal aidzin wal faizin... to bloggr, to writer this blog, and to all muslims. good entry post

Lrong Lim said...

Thirty durians! Wow... Selamat Hari Raya to you and your loved ones...

Autumn Belle said...

Pulasan looks like lychee. With those durian, rambutan and pulasan, it looks like a fruit party. Wishing you a wonderful and Selamat Hari Raya Aidil Fitri!

Malar said...

SElamat Hari Raya to you! Hope you had good time celebrating with your family!
I always wonder what fruit is this! Now i know it's "pulasan"!
40yrs old rambutan tree? WOW!

shaz said...

30 durians? Wow! Your car must have been very wangi on the drive then? Selamat hari raya aidilfitri (belatedly).

Bom said...

I enjoy rambutan although I haven't had some recently. I think it is in season in the summer here, not so much now.

Unknown said...

it's been a while since i last eat buah pulasan...kalau rambutan tu biasa la...slmt hari raya to u,kak..:)

Julie said...

I planted a Pulasan tree this spring but it died. After reading your post i might try again! I have heard that the seed is edible, tastes like almonds?

takaeko said...

Lychee is popular in Japan but I've never seen pulasans and I hope the fruits will be sold in Japan,too!

Al-Manar said...

Five months ago I got a small pulasang tree, about knee high. To day, believe it or not , it has shrunk to less than quarter its original size, mati segan hidup tak mau. I wonder whether this tree requires a lot or very little sun, a lot or very little water, a lot or very little fertiliser. I have practically given up.

Bom said...

This is my first time to hear of pulasan. Is it really sweeter than rambutan? I should keep an eye out for it the next time I am in Malaysia.

Chris said...

Hi! Just want to let you know that I have moved to a new blog at http://www.journeyofmygarden.com. Come by when you are free.

Gardens at Waters East said...

Great plants posted on this day. But, I haven't seen you recently, hope all is well. Jack

School Of Tots said...

Pulasan taste good too. But the skin quite thick. So if you buy pulasan, 3/4 of the weight goes to the skin. Compared to rambutan 50-50.

greenworld said...

Oh wow, those look so gorgeous and delicious!

Autumn Belle said...

Happy New Year 2012!

A. said...

hi missing your posts.. when are you going to post again?

Andrea said...

Hi i just stumbled on your blogsite. I am a friend of some Malaysian bloggers. So you call it pulasan! We call our wild rambutan as kapulasan!

tulips said...

that's great fruit

Anonymous said...

Malaysia has the best Pulasan. I am a Sri LAnkan. I am looking for someone who can post me few viable seeds of red pulasan. At least 5 seeds per each variety. If anyone can post me through EMS, please contact at this address sam@sathkumara.com

Jaehyung Lee said...

I want to buy pulasan 100 seeds.
If you can ship to south korea, please contact me.
My E-Mail: kolanp@gmail.com

chin-cherng lan, TAIWAN said...

chin-cherng LAN, TAIWAN,
WITH1 PHYTO-SANITARY CERTIFICATE, BE ISSUED BY "QUARANTINE AUTHORITY, MALAYSIA GOVERNMENT" , IS THERE NY MALAYSIA PEOPLE WHO CAN SELL TO ME FOR 3 KILOGRAM NET,
MOSITURED SEEDS OF PULASAN, BE SENT TO MY ADDRESS IN TAIWAN BY "EMS" FROM POST OFFICE IN MALAYSIA, REGARDS CHIN-CHERNG LAN, TAIWAN, E MAIL: sungodtw@gmail.com fax: 886-2-26478096, ===

luckys said...

gta 5 apk
The above article is nice and interesting, thank you willing to share! Greetings success of admin Digital Printing Rawamangun wish you deign to visit my website, thank you :)

Kim said...

You’re so interesting! I don’t believe I’ve truly read something like this before. So great to find someone with genuine thoughts on this issue. Really.. many thanks for starting this up. This website is something that’s needed on the internet, someone with some originality!

CBSE Schools In Udupi
CBSE Schools In Uttar Kannada
CBSE Schools In Yadgir
CBSE Schools In Ballari
CBSE Schools In Bagalkot
CBSE Schools In Belagavi
CBSE Schools In Amreli
CBSE Schools In Anand
CBSE Schools In Banaskantha
CBSE Schools In Baroda

Anonymous said...

شركة كشف تسربات المياه بالدمام

شركة كشف تسربات المياه بالدوادمي

شركة كشف تسربات المياه بخيبر

شركة كشف تسربات المياه بينبع

شركة كشف تسربات المياه بمهد الذهب