Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Come right in...

This is my gardening blog...that is when Im in the mood to do gardening. Well at least, I would like to start again after almost a year of laziness and endless excuses!




Garden outside the fence




mulberry trees, pisang kipas, tunera, pokok ati2 (cant see them here),
pandan leaves, curry leaves, cashew nut tree, morning glory,
sireh, kafir lemon and other small bushes of flowering plants to give colours
to this otherwise boring lot

I have a small garden on the right side of the house on the other side of the fence and a small strip outside the fence. My garden focal point is the water feature I added 2 yrs ago. Just a small raised kidney-shaped pond to hold 10 koi fish, 2 gelamas and 4 huge DBKL fish and tadpoles! I had a pondok built besides it too for resting my tired bones after gardening or for family get together. The pond is raised a foot above ground cos of the flooding we get from time to time if we are not lucky, during the rainy seasons, the result of an occassional overflow of Ampang River just behind my house (bad fungshui?)....Every time it starts raining heavily I started to pray hard cos once in 2007, I woke up about 10 pm and found the carpets in the living room and every thing else floating!



I placed potted plants on the board above the pond like bird's nest, 2 types of ferns, coloured keladi (red, green with white spots), pink n white anthuriums and lavender look alike flowers (in purple).



my small fish pond besides the pondok







In the pond, a tempayan was placed catching the water from the urn where water cabages and kiambang (water hyacinth) are floating. A pot of water lilies and also water orchids are submerged in the water. The pond is framed by a pegola, wooden arbor, for my grape vines to climb, where I can hang my potted plants of petunias, spider plants, ivy, ferns, red begonias and other plants which Im not sure of their names. I have other nooks and corners in my small garden which need my immediate attentions before the plants I placed there temporarily die a natural death or grow wild with weeds! WEEDS!!!??? I HATE THEM...!!! I really have no patience for them!

Hope my gardening mood will last longer this time....


15 comments:

Bangchik and Kakdah said...

A nice garden.. welcome to the world of garden blogging. I am wondering where would the sunflowers grow...
~bangchik

p3chandan said...

Thanks Bangchik.Dont worry I have special corners in my garden for yr sunflower seeds to grow..thanks again for sending them!

Blur Ting said...

Wow, you have a cashew nut tree? I would like to grow one too.

p3chandan said...

Yes Ting, I grow it just to have their young shoots as ulam or add them to asam laksa instead of the usual mint leaves..yummy!

James David said...

What a lovely pond - looks like its lot of work done here, truly you have the time and effort to keep up with water features and all.

Weeds are time robbers - they rob of your time whereas you can concentrate doing something else.
Normally I put pebbles on wherever weeds grow - it will slow them down and you can uproot them more frequently as their growth process slows down.

Malar said...

Hi,

i just browse thru your blog! You garden is really beautiful!

p3chandan said...

Yes James the weeds are indeed time robbers, taking me away from real work I want to do in my garden. Thanks again for giving me such useful advice..

p3chandan said...

Thanks for dropping by my small garden Malar..

Autumn Belle said...

Congratulations on the start of your garden blog. Welcome to Blotanical!

You have a nice garden and this garden is telling me that 'Madame' has taken good care of it. As for weeding, I love doing weeding because each weed pulled out is a battle won, haha. I think weeding is a good stress reliever for me. It is much easier to do weeding when the ground is wet.

p3chandan said...

Thank you Autumn Bell for yr compliments. You are welcome to my garden if you want to relieve yr stress anytime..haha

Anonymous said...

You have a lovely garden. I can see all the efforts and I guess lots of patience that went into this! Bravo! Did you buy the mulberry plant from the nursery? Thanks for dropping by my "potted garden". Keep on gardening!

p3chandan said...

mypottedgarden...thanks for the compliments.The mulberry seedlings were given by a good friend/business associate

J.C. said...

Ha ha..I know what you meant by DBKL fish!! We use similar term for them i.e. MPSJ! They are the garbage collectors of our pond too! Ha ha...great minds think alike.

p3chandan said...

Yes JC, DBKL or MPSJ..they do just that, garbage collectors! haha..

Sunray Gardens said...

Wonderful photos of your gardens. I have really enjoyed going through your blog. Some things are very different from here. Thanks.
Cher
Goldenray Yorkies